If you’re a red wine-lover (or even just a Christmas-lover in general) you will LOVE Gluhwein. See the below for our ultimate Gluhwein recipe:
- 3⁄4 cup water (or orange juice)
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar (or less to taste)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 orange
- 10 whole cloves
- 1(750 ml) bottle red wine
- In a saucepan, combine the water, sugar, and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer.
- Cut the orange in half, and squeeze the juice into the simmering water. Push the cloves into the outside of the orange peel, and place peel in the simmering water. Continue simmering for 30 minutes, until thick and syrupy.
- Pour in the wine, and heat until steaming but not simmering. Remove the clove-studded orange halves.
- Pro tip: Serve your drinks hot in mugs or glasses that have been preheated in warm water, because cold glasses will break.
Reference article: Genius Kitchen